Department of
Biological Chemistry & Molecular Pharmacology

New Employee Info

You should complete each of the following steps before, or as soon as you begin with BCMP.

Please contact Kristen Parker ( to be added to the BCMP E-Mailing Lists. These are used to disseminate important information concerning the department (seminar notices, Data Club announcements, funding sources). You will need to provide your HMS e-mail address.


Please arrange to meet with KyungAh Chung-Benedetti in C-213A (  to complete all necessary Payroll forms. If you are international, please bring your passport and visa papers. If you are a US Citizen or Permanent Resident, please bring two forms of identification (eg. passport, license, birth certificate.)

If you are a postdoc fellow, please notify the Financial Office in C-214 of your intention to elect a health plan through Harvard or not.

Obtain a Social Security Number and Card

If you do not have these, you cannot be paid. You need to wait at least two weeks after your US arrival to obtain them. Print and fill out the application form. Take it in person to the Social Security Office at 10 Causeway St; Boston, MA 02222; room 148 1st floor.

Harvard International Office

If you are not a US citizen or permanent resident, you must register with the Harvard International Office within thirty days of the date you entered the country. The HIO is in Cambridge, but they have office hours in the Longwood Medical Area, usually on Thursdays.

Harvard ID Number and Card

To obtain your Temporary ID, have your PI or supervisor sign the Harvard ID Risk and Assessment Form (provided to you by Kristen Parker) and take this to the ID Office – located at the School of Public Health, Kresge Bldg. Room 103 A (617-432-0389.) Your temporary ID is good for 60 days and will allow you to use the M2 shuttles. Take required training indicated on the Risk Assessment Form.

Once you have received your first paycheck, and you have completed any training courses required for your particular position, you must return to the ID Office to have your permanent ID card processed. It will be mailed to you.

For access to the BCMP stockroom, buildings after hours, or the bike cage you must have your ID coded. The Harvard Longwood police at 260 Longwood Avenue will code your ID for the bike cage. Please speak to John Scales about coding your ID for HMS building access and the BCMP stockroom.


Please see John Scales in C-213 ( to learn about mail procedures and to have a mailbox set up. For FedEx procedures, talk to your grant manager in C-214.

Copiers, Fax Machine, In-House Stockroom

Please see facilities or contact John Scales ( You may need your permanent Harvard ID.

Internet Access

If you need desktop support, contact the IT Help Desk (617-432-2000.)
(You will need your permanent Harvard ID for the following steps.)
Obtain an HMS email address. You can use your email username and password to obtain an eCommons account. eCommons is the HMS community intranet.

To connect to the HMS Department File Server, so that you may save and retrieve files on the network, request help from West Quad Computing Group (617-432-5694.)